A Moreish Breakfast... à la Cymru

This past Thursday, March 1st is best known to the Welsh side of my family as St. David's Day.  As a child, I would get dressed up in traditional Welsh dress (long woolen skirt, white blouse, woolen shawl and a Welsh hat) and my Dad would dawn either a daffodil or a leek on his lapel and we would be touted off to go singing with the Ottawa Welsh Society.  Twenty years later, things are a bit different, yet I still find myself wanting to get in touch with my roots and mark the day.  So, I decided to make Welsh cakes.  They were a partial success, but I think I will leave that baking up to the one who knows best - my mamgu (grandmother).  Next year, I think I will stick to buying daffodils!

Since I was going to get Antoine to taste my Welsh cakes, I thought it would be best to pair them with another common breakfast back in the UK - porridge!  Although this one I did had a bit of a twist, instead of cooking it with milk, we used coconut milk.  Also adding to his fruit challenge, there were apples and currants (albeit with a different portion size as me) and topped it with spiced sugar.

Mine & His

Welsh cake topped with raspberry jam & Pinterest, naturally

Comments

Popular Posts